With this pastry spider web, a favorite pie or tart takes on a deliciously scary aspect.
Looking for an easy treat for a spooky celebration? Bake your favorite single-crust pie or tart, then make a spider web topper with pie dough. The process is simple and the result is a deliciously scary, festive dessert.
For this project you will need:
– 1 prepared 9 -inch single crust pie or 1 prepared 10-inch tart
– Prepared pie dough
– Egg wash
– Parchment paper
Chocolate Tart with Chocolate Chip Cookie Crust is a great tart for this project. The dark chocolate filling provides a great contrast to the pie dough topper. Pumpkin Pie or a green Grasshopper Pie are other excellent options.
1. On a lightly floured surface, roll out pie dough to about 1/4-inch thick. Cut dough into strips approximately 1/2 inch wide and 10 inches long. (The actual length will depend on the diameter of your tart or pie. Measure beforehand so dough strips can be cut to correct length.)
2. To construct the web, spread a large sheet of parchment paper on work surface. Place 4 long strips of dough on parchment in a star-like pattern, crossing each in the center. This creates the base of the spider web. Brush each dough piece with egg wash, then press firmly in center to secure strips together. (Egg wash is hugely important in this project. The dough web is made by weaving together multiple pieces of pie dough and egg wash is what will keep all the pieces fused together.)
3. Add additional strips of dough, draping each between the sections of the outer edges to create the web-like pattern. Once outer section is completed, continue with a second web layer, placing it about half-way between center and outer layer of dough. Pinch together dough edges at each point and gently press dough at each intersection. Brush dough web with egg wash again, then transfer to the refrigerator and let chill for at least 30 minutes. Spider web can be refrigerated overnight, loosely covered after the egg wash has dried.
4. Preheat oven to 350°F. Brush finished dough web with egg wash one last time and sprinkle generously with sugar. Transfer parchment paper and dough web to a baking sheet, then move baking sheet to the oven and bake until dough is golden, 10-15 minutes. Remove and let cool completely.
5. Use a large offset spatula to gently loosen baked web from parchment paper. Carefully place web on top of prepared tart or pie. Add additional festive decoration as desired, then serve — and enjoy!